The scholarship was started by the Barrows family in 2014 with the aim of providing financial assistance to the students. The main reason to start this scholarship was to honour the memories of Frank L. Barrows and Frank L. Barrows II. Looking after the fact that many bright students are not able to assist their education despite being academically very brilliant and certainly have a promising future.
Table of Contents
The Barrows Family Scholarship Fund 2024
This scholarship fund is awarded to a college student or a student from Eveleth-Gilbert High School. This is a famous scholarship in the United States created in the loving memory of Frank L. Barrows II. The Barrows Family Scholarship is included in the Eveleth Community Foundation Fund. Frank L. Barrows and Frank L. Barrows II both were natives of Eveleth. With a noble cause of funding for students with financial needs, this was also the way to follow the dreams of Barrows.
The story behind this scholarship fund
This whole scholarship revolves around Frank L. Barrows, who was born to Hazel and Kenneth Barrows in May 1931. He was born in Eveleth and also attended schools there. During his school days, he began to show a special interest in swimming and excelled in the swim team. He was enlisted in the Navy in the year 1950. During his time in the Navy, he also served his country in the Korean War before getting honourably discharged in 1954. He lived a well purposeful life, and his parent wanted to honour the memories of their son, and that is the reason the Barrows Family Scholarship Fund was born.
Some aspects of The Barrows Family Scholarship Fund
As this scholarship is dedicated to seniors of Eveleth-Gilbert High School, the student has to be academically brilliant. This can be weighed under various factors like performing in community service, demonstrating leadership qualities in any community events, and, most importantly, maintaining good grades.
The applicant has to maintain a minimum of 3.0 Grade Point Average on a 4.0 scale. This is one of the minimum criteria in many educational-based scholarships as it shows the student’s seriousness and passion for studies and helps to filter out the maximum number of applicants. The next most important thing is that the applicant for the scholarship has to demonstrate their financial needs. Financial needs can be successfully demonstrated by filling out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.
Filling out the application form for The Barrows Family Scholarship Fund
- The application to this scholarship can easily be accessed through this link: https://www.grantinterface.com/Home/Logon?urlkey=dsacfscholar
- After clicking on this link, you need to register yourself on the website.
- After successfully registering, build up your profile.
- You can apply for the particular scholarship from the dashboard.
- As you keep on answering the questions that popped up after your registration, it will also help you to determine the perfect scholarship as per your needs.
Some guidelines while filling out the application form for The Barrows Family Scholarship Fund and the scholarships provided by Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation Scholarships
In case you are filling out The Barrows Family Scholarship Fund through the link provided. You may find other scholarships in the portal provided by Duluth Superior Area Community Foundation Scholarships. You can browse through them and look for a perfect scholarship that will suit you according to your needs.
- Please fill out the application form and register yourself on the website through an email, which should be personal and not a school email address.
- While filling out some of the applications, student has to provide a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form.
- In some of the applications, you need to provide your Grade Point Average (GPA), the application may want you to be ready with high school transcripts or maybe transcripts or grades to date that will include your fall 2022 grade.
- While filling out the application form, you should be clear about the type of education program you are looking for is it two or four-years based, just for apprentice or licensure etc.
- You should have an idea about the school you are considering to opt like public, private, local, outside the area etc.
- You have to provide information related to your previous work experience, the extracurricular activities you have been a part of, and the role you have played in them. They also want to know your community involvement and sports participation.
- You need to mention childcare and family situations. Some scholarships require information about all this.
- You also need to provide a letter of recommendation in some cases. It means checking your credibility on someone else’s recommendation.
The Barrows Family Scholarship Fund deadline and the value of the scholarship award
The deadline to submit the application form for the scholarship is 15 February 2024. The value of this scholarship is between $500 and $1000. The amount is co-payable to the institution and students. The award value is divided into two instalments fall and spring each year.