Des Moines Women’s Club Literature Scholarship: The famous Des Moines Women’s club was founded in the year 1885 when five of its founding women members were very vigilant and visionary and swiftly met in the old Plymouth Congregational church & 5th grand Avenue and decided to form and run it. Since the beginning of this club, they have provided strong support for the arts in central Iowa which is a state in The United States of America.
The Des Moines Women’s club annually awards scholarships to students who are high school seniors, college or university enrolled or seekers and those who are pursuing higher education degrees.
The Des Moines Women’s Club Literature Scholarship is state-based and is honoured to those students who are residents of central Iowa and the places which fall under that region are (Dallas, Madison, Marion, Story, Polk, Boone, or Warren Counties). This scholarship is awarded to a student of any gender graduating high school senior who is pursuing a degree which can be a major or minor in the following subjects,
- Language and Literature
- Language Arts
- Language Education
Although Des Moines Women’s Club provides various types of scholarships in different areas of education every year. Some of these similar types of scholarships are,
- DMWC Drama/Theatre Arts Scholarship and DMWC Instrumental Music scholarship are only provided to Graduating High School Seniors.
- Lois E. Dell Scholarship which is only provided to college-going female students.
- For graduate students, they provide Ann McColley Family Scholarship for Veterinary Medicine.
All the students who want to apply for this scholarship may select the relevant scholarship among the pool of scholarships from their website and can apply for one of them. One applicant is allowed to fill one application form only per year basis. Along with submitting the application form, the applicant must have to submit one poem, one short story, one short biographical essay and one narrative essay which should include your future writing goals.
Requirement of the scholarship, some necessary details
- Des Moines Women’s Club is providing 24 scholarships in the year 2023 which is worth around whooping $50,000. Those candidates who are eyeing this particular scholarship need to pay attention to the following details,
- The students applying for this scholarship must be graduating high school seniors who have decided or pursuing a degree which is either maybe a major or minor in Literature, Journalism, Language arts, writing, or Language education from any college, university, or conservatory.
- As mentioned earlier one applicant can apply for a single scholarship specified if they are a Graduating High School Senior, a graduate or a Graduate High School Senior. Only one complete application with corresponding references is allowed.
- The applicant must belong to central Iowa only, the applicant other than this won’t be eligible for the scholarship. We have already mentioned all the places you can be a resident of.
- The scholarship awards are distributed at the DMWC Scholarship award program including a formal lunch on April 19, 2023, and all the recipients compulsory need to attend it.
- Once the particular application has been shortlisted for the scholarship and is eligible for the reward, the money corresponding to that particular scholarship be transferred directly to the winning applicant’s chosen institution, college or university. The award money will automatically be utilised for the academic year 2023-2024.
Deadline and award money for the scholarship
- The deadline for submitting the application form along with all the necessary documents for the scholarship is 27 January 2023.
- All the recipients, who successfully meet the scholarship criteria and are nominated winners in every category by the judging panel will be notified by 10 March 2023.
- For this year Des Moines Women’s Club has decided to provide 24 scholarships. For graduating high school seniors, the scholarship value is $2000.
How to fill out the application form and provide other details
The Des Moines Women’s Club scholarship has been dedicated to helping students in different subject streams and different education areas. They yearly provide their scholarship in a grand scholarship award program. To apply for Literature Scholarship you need to be a graduating high school senior and you are required to submit a few more things along with the application form which is available on their website.
Other requirements are:
- One poem needs to be a maximum of two pages.
- You need to write one short story and it has to be five to ten pages in length.
- One narrative essay that again has to be five to ten pages long.
- While completing all these requirements you either can send an email or through postal. In case you are mailing it keeps the subject name as per requirement or send it in postal to Den Moines Women’s Club office.
- The applicant has also had to send a 300-word essay which should include the applicant’s biography and the applicant has to mention their future writing goals to the Den Moines Women’s Club office.
- The applicant also has to submit a letter of recommendation from a high school teacher to the Den Moines Women’s Club office.
Email Id: email@example.com