To test the credibility and weightage of your application on the educational front, maybe in a job. You can be asked to write a letter of recommendation by one of your students, a college intern, etc. It also proves your worth and the kind of impact you have that you can recommend someone.
A letter of recommendation is generally written on behalf of a candidate, intern, mentee, or colleague by someone who can verify that person’s abilities in the classroom or on the job. This letter is often addressed to a hiring manager or admissions officer evaluating a potential employee, intern, or scholarship applicant.
While writing a letter of recommendation, always keep in mind that it is scenario-dominated. You need to praise the person and their capabilities in the letter. First, you must understand why that person requires a letter of recommendation. Once you understand their need, you need to understand the qualities required. If that same person fits the task, they require your recommendation. Build your story instead of simply mentioning their qualities; explain how that person is effective and fit for the job.
Table of Contents
What is a letter of recommendation?
A letter of recommendation is a written testimony about any person who may be your past student or past colleague. The letter recommends them for a specific role, maybe a grant, scholarship, or acceptance to a program.
This letter assures that you have the abilities, characteristics, necessary skills, and potential to succeed in the position you’re applying for.
What are the different types of letters of recommendation?
For education purpose
The educational institution requires the letter of recommendation for various purposes, some of which are:
- Letter for financial aid such as grants and scholarships. Sometimes, you need proof or recommendation to prove your credibility, your social and financial status, and your academic qualifications.
- To get an internship or fellowship. To be an intern at a workplace, sometimes you need recommendations that can validate your skills to pursue them as an intern.
- Sometimes you also need a letter of recommendation for any academic program. For example, any special vocational training or extracurricular class. You need validation of your skills, attitude, and knowledge to enter that program.
For work-related purpose
There are some companies that seek a letter of recommendation from you to validate the information that you have demonstrated or provided. You may act as a mentor or coach to someone when they can write your name in references. In that case, the company might ask for a letter of recommendation. Various other cases can be when you are recommending your colleague within the office as you are closely associated with them and is the right person to prove their credibility.
Other areas to write a letter of recommendation
In some other cases, a letter of recommendation is needed, for example, if one is looking for a property on rent. The current landlord might ask for a letter of recommendation from the tenant of their previous landlord to see the experience, behaviour, and other traits.
- Top 10 Side Hustles From Home Ideas
- How to Become a Project Management
- How to become a Corporate Lawyer
- What Are The Different Types Of Psychology Degrees?
- Highest-Paying Trade School Jobs And Vocational School
What are the ways to write an effective letter of recommendation? Some tips
Like any other professional letter, a letter of recommendation should also be precise, relevant, and personalized. These are some steps to write an effective letter of recommendation.
- As mentioned earlier, a letter of recommendation is like another professional letter. The writing rules we use while writing any professional letter are the same here.
- At the beginning of the letter, we should write something very specific about the candidate’s traits. Praising their ability and how they will benefit from the job.
- You need to outline the intent for writing that letter. A letter of recommendation should always be intended to show how the candidate is suitable for whatever they are asking for.
- Now, you can go for some detail. Quoting an example that can showcase the candidate’s qualities and prove why they are suitable for this role.?
- The letter should always be directed and purposeful. Write the closing statement effectively to prove everything at the end.
- Use your designation and status very effectively in the letter. It is a great way to show the weightage of your letter and your authority; that is why you can recommend someone.?
- Last but not least, proofread what you have written. Look for grammatical errors and the tone of the letter. A Letter is said to be well written when it is free from spelling mistakes, grammatical errors, and in a friendly, informative tone.
Template for letter of recommendation
The basic and legitimate way for writing a letter of recommendation.
Subject- Letter of Recommendation to (Candidate’s Name)
[Your Job title]
[Along with the company name]
[The professional address of the company]
[Date of writing the letter]
[A proper Salutation]
It is an absolute pleasure to endorse Mr. X for [the position] in [company, college, etc.]. You may also write about how you know the applicant.
[Briefly explain the candidate’s qualities, skills, and qualifications.]
[Endorsing the candidate, explaining why they are suited for the work]. For further clarification, please do not hesitate to call me [phone/email]