Applicants eager to learn about their Social Security Disability(SSD) status can now have a look at it or inquire about their status by following various methods. To track your social security disability status read the rest of the article to find out the ways enabling you to do so.
Table of Contents
Social Security Disability Status
The Social Security Disability claim is a government-funded initiative that one can apply for if they comply with the general eligibility criteria. It aims to assist individuals with financial assistance who find it hard to work because of their health condition or disability. These can be of two types: Social Security Disability Insurance(SSDI) or Supplemental Security Income(SSI). One can get either one of these depending upon various factors and conditions.
If one has applied for a Social Security Disability claim and now wishes to check their application status can gain insights by following through this article.
How to Check your Social Security Disability Status Online?
To check your social security disability status online follow the steps given as follows:
- Create your “My Social Security” account by visiting the official social security website. Information like your social security number, ph no. and e-mail address may be required.
- Log in to your account if you have an account already.
- A dashboard of your social security account will appear on your screen.
- Find a section labeled something like “Your benefit application” within your dashboard.
- This, in particular, will help you have a look at your application status, the information will tell you your:
- Date of filing.
- Current claim location.
- Scheduled date and time hearing.
- Incomplete applications.
- Servicing office location.
- Publications of interest, depending on the claim and current step in the process.
Also Read- How to set up a Payment Plan with the IRS?
Alternative Methods to Check Your Social Security Disability Status
Other than checking your status online several other offline options are there too to check your social security status, these are listed as follows:
1. Automated Phone System
A toll-free number(1-800-772-1213) is made available 24/7 to let the person inquire about their social security status online. It is an automated phone service offered by the Social Security Administration(SSA).
To ask about your social security disability status using this method, follow the steps illustrated below:
- Collect all the prerequisite information beforehand such as your social security number, disability claim, etc.
- Dial 1-800-772-1213, a toll-free number available 24/7.
- Certain prompts will appear on your screen these will be generated via an automatic system asking you a series of questions.
- Answer “application status” when the automated voice questions your purpose of calling.
- After entering the information required to obtain your application status you can hear your status being verbally said.
One can even speak to the representative assistant of SSA to gather more information on the issue. A TTY service is also provided to assist people having hearing issues or deaf.
2. In-person Inquiry
Candidates can inquire directly by either taking a visit to their local Social Security Administration office and speak to one of their representatives about their disability status or by gaining in-person assistance. Depending upon the complexity of the case and the candidate, one can also opt to gain assistance by in-person visits.
3. Gaining 3rd Party Assistance
The concerned party can get their status checked by their lawyer or advocate(if any) managing their disability case. Or let their close-one, trusted one to check it for them.
Sending a mail to the SSA is also an option one has to inquire about their status via mail.
Possible Statuses and Outcomes
Based on your application or the stage of your application you can encounter one of the following statuses:
- Application Received: Showcase that the application is still in its initial stages.
- Application Processing: Meaning that the application is getting reviewed by the SSA.
- Requiring Additional Information: Further information is required by the SSA before making an informed decision.
- Medical Decision Made: The medical aspect of your application underwent a decision. Further completion of the process still needs to be done.
- Approved: indicates that the application for the Social Security Disability benefits has been successfully approved and the candidates should now start receiving their claim benefits.
- Denied: Inferring that the application has been denied where the reason for the rejection may also be made clear.
- Appeal under review: In a situation where the candidate had filed an appeal previously, and their status comes out like this, then it should mean that their appeal is yet to arrive at a decision.
- Hearing Scheduled: This indicates that the hearing with the law judge has been scheduled.
Potential Reasons Behind Denied Application Result
Below are the reasons that may have caused your application to get rejected:
- Not being able to provide sufficient evidence.
- Suffering through Short-term disability which may get healed.
- Insufficient Work History
- Suffering from a disability caused due to Drug addiction or Alcoholism.
- Presenting false information.
- Reapplying without providing the required documents.
- Being convicted of a crime can lead to application rejection.