The chief aim of the Center for Women in Technology CWIT is to increase the proportion of women working in engineering and Information Technology. The United States of America has the largest share of women participating In technological or engineering jobs, and this organisation is doing the same, that is, to promote it.
As the UMBC initiative for female-friendly engineering and IT education is a success, we can clearly see that by inspiring data that shows that the share of women in the IT and engineering sector has increased. This model serves as a national model for other universities and helps make UMBC a destination for women interested in technical vocations.
Center for Women In Technology (CWIT) Scholars Program
CWIT aims to nurture this cause at a fundamental level in order to do that, it provides students with support in the industries demanding and frequently changing environment, life-changing leadership chances, and opportunities for professional development.
It is a merit-based scholarship program at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC). This program provides scholarships to undergraduate students majoring in computer programming, information systems, business technology administration (with a technical focus), computer engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical, biochemical, environmental engineering, or another similar field.
The College of Engineering and Informational Technology (COEIT) is a department that has direct support from CWIT initiatives. It focuses on developing a strong group of scholars and then creating a community with other women majoring in the same fields. They have an ultimate aim to support the career growth of selected scholars in the designated field.
Also Read: Built Ford Tough Scholarship Program 2023
Benefits of the Center for Women In Technology (CWIT)
You can get various opportunities that can help you professionally. CWIIT is a four-year scholarship program. CWIT scholars receive this scholarship to cover their tuition fees and other academic expenses. There is a difference in the scholarship amount that a scholar can get depending on whether they are in-state or out-of-state students.
For in-state scholars, the scholarship ranges from $5,000 to $15,000 per academic year; remember this is a 4 years scholarship program. For out-of-state students, the scholarship amount varies from $10,000 to $22,000 per year. The university is located in Maryland, USA.
Each student who gets the scholarship gets into this special program where classes and curriculums are designed so that they are future-ready to enter IT or engineering fields. They also receive the required guidance and special mentoring from the faculty and other participating members of various engineering and IT communities.
Also Check: Oracle Developer Scholarship
How getting a scholarship at the Center for Women In Technology (CWIT) will help your career
While getting a scholarship from CWIT will help you career in upcoming hurdles that you may face while joining a tech field job-related to engineering or IT. The various opportunities you get after getting a scholarship are
- As you join this scholarship program being a CWIT scholar and LLC member, you need to enrol yourself in a specialised course of your First Year Experience during your first semester at UMBC.
- You will get many opportunities to establish your network with some accomplished IT and from various engineering professions.
- As part of mentoring and establishing your network, this program helps to connect all junior and senior scholars with accomplished IT and engineering professionals and with freshmen and sophomore scholars with UMBC teachers.
- You also get the right to get an admittance with priority to live among the CWIT Living Learning Community. This is a special floor in a residential hall on campus reserved for CWIT Scholars and other peers majoring in engineering and information technology.
- In the interest of your overall development, monthly meetings are scheduled with your fellow scholars from CWIT. Various other activities are also conducted to build a strong community out of it
- In order to enhance your leadership qualities by participating in CWIT students council and various other on-campus activities.
- You may also get enlightened by two courses on campus addressing gender issues at work.
Types of scholarships offered at the Center for Women In Technology (CWIT) and deadlines
|CWIT Scholarship||In-site- up to $15,000 on a yearly basis|
Out site- up to $22,000 on a yearly basis
|15 January 2023|
|Cyber Scholars & Associates||up to $15,000 on a yearly basis||January 15- March 1, 2023|
|T-Site Program||up to $8,000 on a yearly basis||March 1, 2023|
How to apply for a scholarship at the Center for Women In Technology (CWIT)
- You must have a UMBC campus ID to fill out the CWIT application form.
- After submitting the Common Application form to UMBC, you will get your campus ID within 5 to 7 working days.
- You need to complete your undergraduate admission application before November 1. This may include submitting your high school transcript, the Common Application, and the test result.
You can visit this page in order to apply for the scholarship. To visit the place, please click here.
Three simple steps to apply for the scholarship
- You need to create an account and sign in with your UMBC ID.
- After login in, you need to fill out the application form.
- Once you fill out the general application, a form notification will be sent in case you are eligible for the scholarship.