Rhodes Scholarship Application: Oxford University is one of the leading educational institutions in the world. Be it English, Americans, Europeans, Asians, or anyone around the world, the demand for university is extremely high. In order to support 100 such dreams, the Rhodes Trust at Oxford offers scholarships. The Trust awards scholarships to students of all backgrounds, and genders across the globe. However, they have fixated on a certain number that will be awarded to prospects of a country. In the case of the United States, the Rhodes Trust has declared a total of 32 scholarships. They have categorised the nation into 16 territories and have reserved awards for two students belonging to each territory. However, for the citizens of Australia, the number of awards differ. The Trust shall fund and award 9 applicants from the nation.
The scholarship is highly competitive. Students from all across the nation observe the award as an extremely golden opportunity in order to secure their education at Oxford. A Rhodes Scholar is not only recognised on a world level but also, receives numerous benefits. All the details pertaining to the Rhodes Scholarship Application are available subsequently. Read further so as to get all the important information regarding the application procedure, award, eligibility criteria, dates, and much more.
Table of Contents
Rhodes Scholarship Application 2023-2024
The Candidates who aspire to study at Oxford in Postgraduate courses must apply for the Rhodes Scholarship. Founded by Cecil John Rhodes, the scholarship aimed at promulgating united relations between nations that spoke English as a language. Additionally, in order to influence and enhance the minds of students for better leadership in the future, the scholarship sustained itself. Earlier, the foundation funded only 66 prospects and gender was a criterion along with nationality. However, as of now, there are no such limitations. The number of awards has also increased to 100.
In the case of the United States, the authorities will fund and support the education of 32 students. Whereas, for Australia, the total number of scholarships that the Trust will award is 9. Prospects need to file applications from any of the territories that have been announced for Australia. These are namely, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia or Australian Commonwealth Territories. Aspirants have to fill out an online application and submit it prior to the deadline.
In order to apply for the session 2023-2024, the deadline was 3 October 2022 for the United States, while for Australian Candidates, the deadline was 9 September 2022. The aspirants will have to wait for the activation of the application window for the next session. The applications are expected to commence in July 2023 and will wind up by the end of September or the beginning of October in the year 2023. The authorities will notify you accordingly regarding the acceptance of the applications.
Rhodes Scholarship Application: Overview
|Name of the Program||Rhodes Scholarship|
|College Affiliated||Oxford University, United Kingdom|
|Number of Awards||100 (Total)|
32 Awards for Candidates from the United States
9 Awards for Candidates from Australia
|Education Level||Post Graduate|
|Prime Benefit||Coverage of College Fees and an annual Stipend|
|Commencement of Application||1 July 2022|
|Application Deadline||3 October 2022 for the United States|
9 September 2022 for Australia
|Expected Application Window for Next Session||July 2023 – October 2023 (For Session 2023 – 2024)|
Benefits of being a Rhodes Scholar
The prospects who get shortlisted for the scholarship offered by the Rhodes Trust at Oxford University will be known as Rhodes Scholars. Since the scholarship is one of the most prestigious awards across the globe, Rhode Scholars carry identical status. There are more benefits attached to being a Rhode Scholar which is listed below:
- The scholarship covers the entire college fees for the scholar for the two years of Postgraduate education. The payment is direct and there is no involvement of students or additional agents.
- Rhode Scholars receive an annual stipend of at least £13,390 in order to sustain themselves.
- The scholars can apply for and are eligible to receive additional scholarships and awards from Oxford University.
- Authorities provide scholars with an extensive communication network with other scholars and teachers.
- Rhodes Scholars have an extra advancement at the time of employment. The tag adds additional value to the achievements of the candidate.
- There is always a specific and additional enhancement of the Rhodes Scholars in order to fuel the purpose of the Scholarship.
Rhodes Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Only the candidates who are eligible for the award can apply for the scholarship. One needs to observe that only two students will be awarded the scholarship from one territory. Thus, the authorities will verify the eligibility of the candidates extremely carefully. The aspirants need to meet the following conditions for the Rhodes Trust to consider them for the award of the Scholarship:
- The candidate has to be a citizen of the United States or Australia.
- Lawful permanent residents of any of the two countries can also apply for the award.
- Students must have attained an age of 18 years in order to apply for the scholarship.
- The upper age limit to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship is 24 Years. This implies that the candidates should not have reached their 25th birthday in any case.
- Only Graduate Candidates can apply for the scholarship and fill out the application form. The degree course must have been completed prior to the application for the scholarship.
- Applicant must be eligible to apply for the desired full-time course at Oxford University upon Post Graduation.
- As a compulsory condition, the candidates must have a grade of 3.70/4.0 or 6.75/7 or more than 80% Marks weightage or higher in their graduation. The grades and percentages will not be rounded off.
- Unsuccessful applicants of the Rhodes Scholarship can re-apply on the condition that they fulfil the present criteria of eligibility.
- The candidates must be particularly following the guidelines of the applications and the admission criterion.
Documents Requirement and Pre-Requisites of Application
Aspirants for the Rhodes Scholarship seeking education at Oxford University must keep the following documents and transcripts ready prior to application. The applicants need to observe that if they submit an incomplete application, they will not be even considered for the scholarship and the application will be subsequently rejected. Ensuing are the prerequisites for the application.
- A respective Government issued document for identification of the candidate or Birth Certificate or Passport.
- The candidates who are not lawful citizens but permanent residents, a relative proof of residency.
- DACA Candidates need to provide evidence of their status and eligibility.
- All the transcripts of the graduate course post which the candidate is aiming to get enrolled in a postgraduate course at Oxford University.
- Endorsement of the Application from the Institution of the Candidate.
- Curriculum Vitae or Resume of the Candidate with all the details of the candidate pertaining to Personal Information, Contact Details, Academic Achievements, Professional Achievements, Education Details, and Cultural Involvements. The candidates must not include their pictures in their CVs.
- The Rhodes portal will display a picture of the candidate if they select them. Thus, the authorities require a head-to-shoulder colour photograph of the candidates. The photograph that they will submit for the purpose cannot be changed or reversed afterwards.
- The Rhodes Trust will provide questions that the applicants are required to cover while preparing the Personal Statement. Applicants need to provide a complete insight into their personality through this statement which cannot be more than 750 words.
- The applicants need to write down an academic statement where they explain all about their academic journey, aims, objectives, and more. The authorities will provide an outline which you must strictly adhere to while preparing the statement. It should not be more than 350 words.
- Applicants must prove at least five and not more than 8 references. These references will have to submit their insights. However, they have to be someone who is prominent in your journey so far. Thus, the trust has provided a complete guideline pertaining to that. The instruction must be carefully observed.
- The candidates must refrain from uploading any unnecessary documents and links that the ones that the authorities actually require.
Application Procedure for Rhodes Scholarship
In order to apply for the Rhodes Scholarship, aspiring prospects need to fill out an online application form. The form is available on the official portal of the scholarship. The candidates need to make sure that they fill out the form carefully if they intend selection. In order to do this, follow the subsequent method:
- Open the official portal of the Rhodes Scholarship at www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk.
- On the prime page of the portal, tap on the option of Scholarships which shall further open a dropdown list.
- Under the section Applying for the Scholarship, tap on the option of Check Your Eligibility & Apply.
- Enter the name of your country as the United States of America or Australia, and further click on Check Eligibility.
- Firstly, check all the steps on the page and enter all the answers or choose the respective answer. Furthermore, tap on Continue.
- Secondly, once the eligibility criteria are temporarily met, tap on Find Out More & Apply.
- All the relative details regarding the diacritics as well as the application procedure will appear on the screen.
- Further, tap on the option of “State Your Application” in order to open the application form.
- Enter all the details pertaining to the candidature as per the requirement of the form.
- Further, upload the documents and fill out the columns for the aforementioned prerequisites.
- Lastly, review the application since they shall not be applicable for editing post submission.
- Once, the entire application process is over, tap on submit in order to successfully apply.
Selection Procedure for Rhodes Scholars
The authorities at the Rhodes Trust will not take the financial status and standing of the applicant into consideration while making selections. Additionally, factors such as Gender, Caste, Race, Creed, Colour, Religion, Social or Medical Background, and more will not influence the decision of the panel. The candidates must observe that they can only apply for the scholarship if they are seeking entry into the university. The selection panel will be precisely adhering to the criteria of selections and will be making no decisions if they are not satisfied by the eligibility and qualifications of the applicants. Further, the applicants cannot challenge the decision of the selection panel as it will be the last and final. The following procedure will be precisely followed by the authorities:
- The authorities will carefully consider the eligibility and merit of the candidates.
- They shall decide the award on the basis of the suitability of the candidate to the program of Rhodes Scholars.
- The candidates who will receive the awards need to ensure that they take admission as soon as the authorities allocate the scholarship award.
- They shall entirely respect the representation criteria, according to which, they will pick only 2 scholars from each of the 16 constituencies in the United States of America.
- The proper criteria for the Australian territories will be followed by the Rhodes Trust while allocating the scholarship.
- Candidates will have to necessarily go through an interview which the authorities will conduct in order to make the selections.
- The authorities shall contact the applicants regarding any information regarding the selection.